Doctor Arthur Lydgate is a character on ABC's Once Upon a Time and Once Upon a Time in Wonderland. He is portrayed by Jonny Coyne.
Lydgate's daughter Mary summons him from his scotch and cards to meet Dr. Henry Jekyll, who is working on a serum to separate good and evil into two halves and seeks funding and admission from Lydgate's academy. Lydgate deems Jekyll's work too dangerous and turns him down, until Lydgate is later confronted by a mysterious man named Mr. Hyde who blackmails him into accepting Jekyll's requests, having threatened to tell Lydgate's family about his affair with a young laboratory assistant. Lydgate later finds out Mary has been killed.
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland
Dr. Lydgate works at Bethlem Asylum in Victorian England, where Edwin admits her daughter Alice to the asylum. Alice is questioned about her stories regarding Wonderland by Lydgate, who then offers to perform a procedure that will take her memories of Wonderland away. Alice agrees to this until she is rescued from the asylum by Will Scarlet, who is also accompanied by the White Rabbit, to Lydgate's horror. Some time later, Lydgate is visited by Dr. Sheffield, who queries about Alice. Lydgate is uncooperative until Sheffield brings out the White Rabbit, which Lydgate had been trying to forget about. Jafar then asks again for information on Alice.
- Lydgate may be loosely based on Dr. Lanyon from the story The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
- Both Lanyon and Lydgate reject Jekyll's experiments until they are confronted by Hyde.
- Judging by the tools involved in Lydgate's procedure, it is possible that Alice was to be lobotomized or have some sort of psychotherapy inflicted upon her, if she hadn't escaped.
- S6, E04: "Strange Case" (flashback)
- W, E01: "Down the Rabbit Hole"
- W, E06: "Who's Alice"