John and Michael live at the Darling mansion where a mysterious shadow that comes to their window some nights. After their guest Baelfire warns them not to approach the shadow, they don't listen. John and Michael's sister Wendy goes with the shadow to a place called Neverland, but the shadow allows her to return home because the shadow wants to take one of her brothers away, permanently. Realizing that she should have listened to Bae, Wendy and the others set up traps around the room, to no effect. The shadow arrives, but Bae sacrifices himself, and the shadow whisks him away to Neverland. Some time later, Wendy goes to Neverland to rescue Bae, but is captured by Peter Pan and is held prisoner. Pan and the Lost Boys then manage to contact John and Michael, forcing them to work for him in exchange for their sister's safety. Pan instructs John and Michael to collect a certain baby from an adoption agency, but fail when that baby is adopted by Regina Mills.
John and Michael, now adults, manage to get into Storybrooke just before Belle activates a protection spell around the town. Having been sent by Pan to destroy Pandora's Box, they manage to threaten Belle and Ariel with guns before stealing the Box. The brothers almost destroy the Box, until Belle intervenes and tells them that Rumplestiltskin is in Neverland, saying that if he manages to defeat Pan with the Box, then Wendy will no longer be in danger. John and Michael reluctantly hand over Pandora's Box.
Wendy is rescued, and reunites with her brothers in Storybrooke. They eventually return to England.
- John and Michael are based on Wendy's brothers from the story Peter Pan.
- Since they were young children back in the Victorian era, they must have been in Neverland for extended periods of time because they had only aged into young adults when they entered Storybrooke.
- S2, E21: "Second Star to the Right" (flashback)
- S3, E04: "Nasty Habits" (drawing)
- S3, E07: "Dark Hollow"
- S3, E09: "Save Henry" (flashback)
- S3, E10: "The New Neverland"